First Data compiled answers to some frequently asked fraud and security questions to help merchants spot fraud, reduce fraud and know what to do if you suspect fraud for credit cards or key-entered transactions. We also share specific security features on Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express® and Discover® Network credit cards.
How to Spot Fraud
Below are a few telltale signs that can tip you off to potential fraud—watch for customers who:
- Purchase a large amount of merchandise without regard to size, style, color or price
- Don’t ask questions on major purchases
- Try to distract or rush you during the sale
- Make purchases and leave the store but then return to make additional purchases
- Make large purchases just after the store has opened or as the store is closing
- Refuse free delivery for large items
If You Suspect Fraud
- For card-not-present purchases, ask the customer for a phone number or an e-mail address and contact the customer with any questions
- Ask for additional information (consumer information or information that would typically be present on the card)
Call the Authorization Center and ask to speak to a Code 10 operator.