First Data, in partnership with Market Strategies International, recently conducted the 2011 U.S. Prepaid Consumer Insights Study to gain an understanding of consumer behaviors and attitudes related to gift cards. We analyzed the results by five distinct consumer segments to share characteristics and opportunities associated with different types of gift card purchasers.
This paper delves into the five consumer segments defined by values, attitudes, behaviors and demographics, resulting in a portrait of:
- Which consumer segments are most and least likely to purchase gift cards and why.
- Preferred gift card giving occasions by consumer group.
- Types of gift cards that each consumer group prefers to buy.
- Attitudes about receiving gift cards by consumer segment.
- Current and projected e-gift card giving behaviors by consumer group.
- Expected purchase of gift cards for the holiday season.