First Data CEO Michael Capellas addressed the National Grocers Association (NGA) in February 2009 with a keynote presentation on the economy, discussing causes of the current slowdown, an assessment of retail trends, and the path to recovery for consumers and businesses. He also discussed First Data payment solutions and innovations and their relevance to the grocery industry.
The presentation was part of a featured session at this year’s NGA convention, held February 3-6 in Las Vegas. The annual convention brings together approximately 1,500 independent retail and wholesale grocers from across the United States in an exchange of information, ideas and new industry concepts.
Michael Capellas providing a keynote address in February 2009 at the National Grocers Association convention in Las Vegas.
Michael and two other experts—Don Coxe of BMO Capital and Thom Blischok of Information Resources, Inc.—were called on to assess the fiscal challenges the country faces and their impact on the food industry. More than 500 grocers attended the session, titled “America’s New Declaration: Energy Security, Economic and Financial Stability, Sustained Growth and Comprehensive Healthcare.”
Earlier in the week, Ed Labry spoke to the NGA board about emerging business trends, processes and new product innovations from First Data.
Other First Data colleagues featured at the convention included:
- Sally Ramadan, who spoke on the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS)
- Sabrina Hagberg, who spoke on flexible spending account substantiation
- Steve Latham, who participated in a workshop panel on non-traditional revenue
First Data also had a presence on the NGA tradeshow floor, exhibiting an array of product innovations:
- Prepaid Solutions, including Gift Card, Paycard and General Purpose Reloadable (GPR)
- Check solutions, including CONNECTPAY
- Contactless solutions, including a vending machine equipped with GO-Tag technology