Perspective: Five Gift Card Marketing Ideas for the Holidays
Decreases in consumer spending continue to pose a challenge to merchants, and although gift and spending cards remain popular with consumers, many program managers have watched gift card activations decline over the past year. Here are a few tips to help you get the most out of your gift card program through the holiday season.
- Start marketing your card now and continue your efforts through the holiday season.
- Include gift card displays with merchandise often bought as gifts and use out-of-stock tags as a way to promote gift cards: “This item is currently out of stock. Consider purchasing a gift card instead.”
- Improve the appeal of your holiday cards by offering occasion-specific cards and carriers.
- Communicate how and why your card would appeal to your customers’ friends and family members—the primary recipients of your cards.
- Consider using your gift card as a consumer incentive to increase load amounts and drive customers back to your stores. An example offer: Buy a $50 gift card and get a $10 gift card that can be used after the holidays.
For more gift card marketing ideas, see Nine Gift Card Marketing Ideas for Navigating 2009 .