- In the largest U.S. IPO of the year, First Data is listed as a public company on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) with the ticker symbol FDC.
- First Data becomes the first payments technology company to earn both controller and processor certifications for its binding corporate rules, granting the company permission to manage customer data across borders.
- In February 2015, First Data reported its first profitable quarter in 29 quarters since it was acquired and became a privately held company in 2007.
- In early 2014, First Data's STAR Network is the first ATM network to adopt the Visa and MasterCard common application IDs for EMV-compliant debit transactions.
- Frank Bisignano assumes the role of Chairman and launches an equity ownership plan for all First Data owner-associates.
- First Data raises a historic $3.5 billion private placement, including $1.5 billion from existing investors and $2.0 billion from new investors.
- First Data introduces the Insightics analytics solution for small and medium size businesses which was created with Palantir, and acquires the mobile gift card platform Gyft.
- First Data expands its presence in Brazil with Bin, the company's acquiring solution developed specifically for the local market.
- First Data announces it will provide encryption technology for Apple Pay. Integrating the new payments technology with the STAR Network, First Data becomes a token service provider, supporting safe POS transactions in Apple Pay.
- At the beginning of the year, Jon Judge announces his retirement and Ed Labry is named interim CEO. In April, Frank Bisignano is named CEO.
- First Data acquires the Clover Network point of sale platform and the Perka mobile loyalty platform.
- First Data acquires remaining equity stake in OmniPay from FEXCO, a Dublin-based specialist provider of financial transaction processing, foreign exchange and outsourcing services. First Data took a majority equity interest in OmniPay in August of 2006.
- First Data opens state-of-the-art Learning and Innovation Center at the company’s global headquarters in Atlanta.
- First Data opens a new operations and technology center in Bratislava, Slovakia, enabling the company to further improve its client service and operational efficiency across the Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) region.
- First Data, Google, Citi, MasterCard and Sprint launch Google Wallet, allowing consumers to store their payment card information on their smartphones to make secure purchases.
- First Data and ICICI Bank, India’s largest private sector bank, form a merchant acquiring alliance named ICICI Merchant Services.
- Joe W. Forehand is named chairman and interim CEO.
- Jonathan J. Judge joins company as CEO in October.
- First Data and Bank of America form Banc of America Merchant Services, an alliance to deliver next-generation payments solutions to merchants ranging from small businesses to commercial and corporate clients worldwide.
- First Data continues its global growth by forming AIB Merchant Services with Allied Irish Bank and entering the Polish market by making an agreement with Allianz Bank.
- First Data and EUFISERV form Trionis, enabling greater access to ATMs, POS terminals and card accounts for consumers in Europe.
- GO-Tag, First Data’s contactless payment technology, premieres during the Democratic National Convention in Denver.
- First Data and JPMorgan Chase announce the dissolution of Chase Paymentech Solutions.
- First Data announces agreement to be acquired by KKR.
- Michael D. Capellas is named chairman and CEO.
- Merger agreement with KKR closes in September, and First Data becomes a privately held company.
- First Data announces plans to separate Western Union into an independent, publicly traded company through a tax-free spinoff.
- First Data and Standard Chartered Bank launch Merchant Services, a merchant alliance serving markets throughout Asia Pacific.
- First Data completes acquisition of GZS, expanding its position in the German market, and Argencard, a leading payment processor in Argentina and Uruguay.
- First Data completes successful spinoff of Western Union.
- First Data acquires EuroProcessing International, gaining a significant foothold in Central and Eastern Europe.
- First Data enters Korea with the acquisition of KMPS.
- Ric Duques resumes leadership as chairman and CEO.
- First Data merges with Concord EFS.
- First Data acquires Cashcard Australia Limited and what is now known as First Data Hellas in Greece.
- First Data acquires TeleCash Kommunikations-Service GmbH, a Germany-based provider of POS terminals.
- Charlie Fote becomes CEO.
- First Data expands its presence in the European market.
- First Data acquires TASQ Technology, a provider of POS devices.
- First Data also acquires VisionPLUS, a global processing platform from PaySys International.
- TeleCheck introduces its Electronic Check Acceptance (ECA) service.
- First Data Merchant Services forms as a result of the merger between Card Establishment Services and National Bancard Corp.
- First Data divests MoneyGram.
- First Data merges with First Financial Management Corporation, owner of Western Union Financial Services, Inc. ValueLink introduces its stored-value gift card program.
- First Data provides card-issuing processing services in Mexico.
- First Data spins off from American Express through an initial public offering (NYSE: FDC).
- Ric Duques is named CEO.
- The STAR Network is created.
- First Data begins Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) processing operations in Australia.
- First Data begins card processing operations in the U.K.
- American Express buys 80 percent of First Data Resources (the remaining 20 percent was purchased in five percent increments each subsequent year until June 1983).
- First Data becomes the first processor of Visa and MasterCard bank-issued credit cards.
- First Data is founded in Omaha, Neb., providing processing services to the Mid-America Bankcard Association (MABA).