For Small Retailers, eCommerce Is Local Commerce
If you own a local business, does eCommerce matter to you? It should.
Merchants often think of eCommerce as something that’s only for big, national or global businesses. Conventional wisdom says that if you own a mom-and-pop retail shop, a food truck or restaurant, or even a multi-location small business, your market isn’t large enough to justify an investment in eCommerce. Most of your customers are local, and they know you. At least, that’s what many business owners think.
But is that really true?
Today, many consumers use smartphones and online searches to find products, services, deals, and business locations near them. Results from a Google study indicate that 50 percent of consumers are more likely to visit a store after performing a local online search via their smartphone1. In fact, nearly 1 in 5 local searches are followed by an in-store purchase within one day2.
Consider these examples of how local retailers are discovering ways that eCommerce can help their business:
- Local car dealerships generate sales leads by using online car comparison sites to link potential buyers directly to dealers nearest the customer.
- Salon owners can proactively fill appointment books through e‑mail or texting campaigns during off-peak times.
- A local baking business is driving traffic to online ordering pages by using social media for photo sharing of freshly baked cupcakes.
- A surf shop can demonstrate the latest surfboard by sharing a video demonstration of how to catch a wave with the latest surfing techniques.
- For many businesses, giving shoppers the option of ordering and paying online from any device, and picking up the purchase in the store, is a huge advantage.
Most local businesses recognize that having a website is an essential part of doing business today. But what’s the best eCommerce strategy for your business? That depends on a lot of things. One of the best places to start is to contact an eCommerce specialist who can show you how eCommerce can help grow your business.
The PayeezySM eCommerce Solution
The Payeezy eCommerce Solution helps you create a seamless customer experience on your website by offering more payment options, impressive security features and easier integration. So no matter how commerce trends evolve, Payeezy can help you keep pace with changing technology and grow your business to its full potential. Learn more.
1. Google, Understanding Consumers’ Local Search Behavior, May 2014
2. Google, Understanding Consumers’ Local Search Behavior, May 2014