Implementation of the NEW PIN System
As part of the industry-wide initiative by Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) to enhance the payment card landscape, the migration from signature to PIN verification for payment card transactions at POS terminals is to be live by 1 January 2017.
To support our merchants in this migration, we have arranged the following :
POS Terminal Upgrade
We are planning to upgrade your POS terminals at each outlet with the PIN-enabled software from July 2016 to December 2016. Our technicians should be calling you to schedule an appointment for this upgrade from July 2016 to November 2016.
PIN card will replace the use of signature to authorise payment during transactions. Once your terminal has been upgraded, overcoming fraud due to lost or stolen cards becomes much easier.
PIN payments Acceptance
To get you started with your new PIN-enabled card terminal, kindly follow the 6 steps below and you should be using your terminal in no time.
6 Steps to Helping Customers Use PIN
- Insert the card with chip area into slot – the card terminal should detect if a PIN is required
- Follow the steps – the card terminal should guide you
- Ask “Please enter your PIN”
- Let customers key in the PIN themselves – look away from the keypad
- Be alert when the PIN bypass is used
- Advise customers to get their PIN from their banks or unlock their PIN at ATM or banks
Display Material at Cashier Point
Chip and PIN verification should further improve security of payment card transactions at POS terminals and improve consumer confidence in the use of payment cards.
We have produced a display material for you to display at your cashier points to inform and educate your customers of the PIN verification.