The Thanksgiving weekend shopping extravaganza continued to become a cultural institution as U.S. shoppers bargain-hunted and took advantage of earlier store openings. First Data took a deeper look at shopping trends over Thanksgiving weekend (November 28th to December 2nd).
Key findings include:
- Total consumer spending growth rose 11.8% from 2012.
- Total retail spending growth increased 8.3% from 2012.
- Children’s and infant clothing stores were a top performing retail category with spending growth up 16.4% from 2012.
- Every state across the nation saw stronger year-over-year growth.
- As a percentage of all retail card spending, the credit card share rose to 45% versus 40% in 2012 as consumers displayed greater confidence in 2013.
Click below to enlarge the infographic